Saturday, May 13, 2006

Abracadabra! UV's Open Again!

Glory of glories, Monot's best gay hangout, UV, is open again.

The bar/club officially opened last night and, of course, I went. The night was clear, the music was great, and the boys were cute.

I love UV - it attracts a more mature, less club-kid crowd than Acid or X-OM. Plus, the space is beautiful, with nice lighting, a stone courtyard, and a staff that puts the bouncers as Club Acid to shame.

A funny thing happened there, though:

Two days ago, I was running very late and took a taxi from Unesco to Gemmayzeh instead fo the normal service-bouncing game. The driver drove me down by the Corniche - the long route to Gemmayze - which frustrated me plenty. But, we ended up talking.

The driver, who was probably around 27, very thin, and of average attractiveness, asked normal small talk questions, including if I had a girlfriend. I said no. He said, "I don't think you like girls."

Now, I don't tell strangers I'm gay, especially random taxi drivers, for personal safety purposes and because I always end up having my ear talked off, whether the person I tell be pro- or anti-gay. So I professed my love for girls, saying I just hadn't found the right one.

The taxi driver loved girls, too. He told me all about them, especially how much they cost. "You shouldn't wait to get a girl; you can get one now! Every girl has a price. You see that girl?" he said, pointing to a young woman in a sleeveless shirt about to cross the street. "I could get her for $100." She crossed the street, and the driver noticed her untoned rear end. "Ehh, $80-$90."

He told me all about the girls who used his cabs: Muslim girls in the hijab from Shiah who hid the hijab in their purse to party downtown; girls who prostituted themselves at the finest hotels for $400 a pop; girls who did it in Hamra hotels for much much less; foreign girls who love Arab men; old ladies who proposition him during drives - everything.

He said some days, he would work from 9 a.m. until 7 p.m., earn about 80,000 lira, and go find a girl. "I pay 50,000 for a hotel, 100,000 for a girl, and get whatever I want," he said proudly.

I said I'd look into finding a girl.

You know what? Last night I saw him dancing with a guy on the dance floor at UV. The lengths people go to in order to hide their sexuality.

2 Comments:

Blogger arch.memory said...

But, Al-Fil, he did just what you did, probably for very understandable reasons. Perhaps he was a tad over-zealous (though not terribly imaginative) given that he brought up the subject first, which probably made him feel compromised (especially given your denial). Now there's something to look forward to in Lebanon, openly gay cab drivers! Let's pray/drink to that!

May 23, 2006 11:48 AM  
Blogger mike davis said...

Al-Fil...dear boy, the driver was coming onto you! When you mentioned girls he was stuck and had to keep blabbing on to save face.

June 23, 2006 9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home