Saturday, July 22, 2006

Google Doesn't Care If It's Homophobic

I just received this e-mail from Google in response to my letter asking them to change their offensively anti-gay Arabic translation tool:

Hi Al-Fil,

Thank you for your note. Although our translations are produced automatically by state of the art technology, unfortunately even today's sophisticated software doesn't approach the fluency of a native speaker. We recognize that the results may be less nuanced than what a human editor might provide, and we're continually working to improve the quality of our automatic translation. In the interim, we hope the service we provide is useful for most purposes.

Thanks for taking the time to write.

Regards,The Google Team

Why do I feel like I've seen that before? All they did was copy and paste from their help section. It looks like a complete brush-off to me: the message shows no intention of fixing the problem. Now I'm angry! Write to them (I posted how in the last post)!

Also, I wrote Google this follow-up e-mail:
Dear Google Help,

I find it troubling that your e-mail shows no intention to solve the problem, but merely restates what is posted in your help section online. I feel that it shows great insensitivity and a lack of foresight. I want you to know that I've informed everyone I know, posted on numerous gay blogs, and written to the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation and the International Gay and Lesbian Association. I will continue to work to spread the word until the situation is fixed.

-Al-Fil

1 Comments:

Blogger andrewodom said...

I am not even sure how to begin this email. For the last two weeks I have enveloped myself in Lebanese blogs and the life of bloggers there. I have been blogging for three years now and believe in the voice of regular people. My heart is with each person involved in this conflict. In the US we only know what we see through media and other outlets. People like me, however, want to hear the voices of life that is still being lived each day in Lebanon. We want to again know there is laughter and love and compassion and outrage and all sorts of emotion coming from the people there. It so happens that I also work with a website called Evoca. We help bring audio to the web. You can check it out at www.evoca.com. We would love to give you a free PRO account to record for your blog anything you want. You can make recordings using Skype, your cell phone, your PC mic, an MP3 recorder, etc. We can even help you start a Podcast by offering you an RSS. The player is easy to embed right into you blogsite. You can see it in use on my blog if you visit "About Us". Please feel free to contact me at drew@drewandbritt.org if you want this account and you want to empower your voice on this blog and in the world at large. Thank you for reading my comment and blessings to you.......

drew.

July 22, 2006 3:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home