Sunday, July 23, 2006

Religion and Evil

In a comment to my last post, a reader of this blog told me she liked it in a very flattering comment. I blushed. But she said something which didn't really sit right with me: "Overall, the common theme is that religion is the source of all evil."

I'm not sure whether she was referencing the current Israeli-Hizbullah war, or posts in my blog. I hope it's not the latter.

I don't agree that religion is the source of all evil, however, and I desperately hope that my postings in this blog don't indicate that I do. I am a very religious person, and believe strongly in the good of God. I think it's the misuse of God that is a great source of evil, for many people project their own prejudices onto God and then use God as justification for their evil deeds.

I am against misuse of religion, not religion itself.

In respect to gay people, for centuries, religious texts has been mistranslated, misinterpreted, fabricated, and deleted to support anti-gay rhetoric. It's like painting a white horse black - no matter how much paint you put on horse, it is still pure underneath.

I believe in the white horse and I believe in salvation, redemption, and the power of God against evil. That's why I'm al-Fil (it's from the Qur'an, sura 105 - maybe I'll explain my name someday, I'm sure it might be misinterpreted as well).

4 Comments:

Blogger Red Tulips said...

Al-Fil:

Okay, I would agree that the misuse of religion is the source of all evil. That is probably a better way to put things.

I do not believe your blog ever implied that religion was the source of all evil - I just sort of inserted my own beliefs there!

I completely respect religious people who do not use their religion as a source of intolerance, and rather draw personal faith and inspiration from their beliefs. Though, if I were to be fully honest, while I respect that, I just don't understand it, because I honestly don't see the greatness of mankind. My own personal belief is summed up by the following video.

http://www.dumpalink.com/media/1151836295/What_We_Are

July 23, 2006 4:56 PM  
Anonymous Chad said...

A kneejerk reaction to religion is something I've run into quite a bit, but, as we have learned since the French Revolution, secular belief systems, whether they are economic-political philosophies or nationalisms, can be just as destructive.

July 23, 2006 7:43 PM  
Blogger MechanicalCrowds said...

I think some religions are more vulnerable to this "misuse" than others. You don't see a lot of buddhist terrorists do you?

About the source of evil: (from wiki)

1. All evil in the kinds of created entities are the result of the fallibility of one or more of its creators. (Premise)
2. The universe is a created entity. (Premise)
3. The universe contains evil. (Premise)
4. Evil is the result of the actions of a fallible creator(s) or is not the result of any creator(s). (From 1, 2 and 3 by predictive inference)
5. If god created the universe, then he is fallible. (From 4)
6. Therefore, god did not create the universe, is imperfect, or does not exist. (From 5)

July 24, 2006 3:43 AM  
Blogger GRT said...

Sometimes people take a short cut and inadvertantly mis-state their intentions.

Many times one hears "Money is the root of all evil." The more accurate quote would be "The love of money is the root of all evil."

The same applies in this discussion. "miss r" took a short cut then corrected herself.

Extraordinary care must be taken these days in the composition of any writing. Knee-jerk responses sometimes can return and cause damage to the jerker.

July 24, 2006 4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home